The Algarve is one of the most beautiful areas of natural beauty in the world. As one of Portugal’s Seven Wonders, travelers flock to its shores to see the wildlife on foot, take a boat trip in the Algarve, or explore Ria Formosa by kayak.
Known for its incredible islands, white-sand beaches, and crystal-clear waters, kayaking is a wonderful way to get up close to nature and the many creatures that live in the Ria Formosa. So, if you’re planning a kayaking adventure in the Algarve but aren’t sure what to bring, read on!
We’ve compiled a comprehensive guide to what to bring on your voyage around Faro as you explore the wonders of Ria Formosa.
Read more to make the most of your kayaking experience in the Algarve around Faro, exploring the Ria Formosa.
Why Kayak in the Algarve?
Kayaking is probably one of the most exciting ways to explore the numerous canals, marshes, and islands of the beautiful Ria Formosa in the Algarve.
A kayak tour allows you to enjoy the unique natural landscape that only this protected area in the Algarve can provide you. If you want to explore your way, Lands’ Kayak Rental offers visitors an easy-to-book kayak rental service in Ria Formosa Nature Park.
You don’t need to be an athlete or even have any prior experience. All you need is a positive attitude and love for nature, which is abundant in this area.
If you prefer a guided experience, look at our Ria Formosa Kayaking Tour from Faro. Across a two-hour tour, you will leisurely paddle through the peaceful waters of Ria Formosa, taking in the beauty of its unique habitats and charming birdlife.
This activity is great for groups of friends, family, and couples looking to explore the Algarve beyond the beaten path.
What to Bring When Kayaking in Ria Formosa
As regular visitors and conservators working within the Ria Formosa Nature Park, we’re well-equipped to prepare visitors for their adventure here.
Our recommendations about the necessary equipment and accessories are based on personal experience. They will help you to make the most of your kayaking experience in the Algarve around Faro, exploring the Ria Formosa.
- On a sunny day, opt for a short-sleeve sweater, hat, and sunscreen to protect you from sun exposure.
- On colder days, opt for a long-sleeved sweater, preferably with a hood, to keep your inner clothes dry.
- Lightweight shoes avoid friction with the bottom of the kayak. We also recommend using water shoes or similar with slip-resistant properties that can get wet.
- If you want to protect your hands against blisters, you can additionally use gloves without fingertips (like weight-lifting gloves).
- Do not forget to bring plenty of water to drink to avoid dehydration.
- A rucksack or backpack is a good idea to carry a small snack, sunglasses, a hat, high-factor sun cream, and a camera.
- You might also opt for a change of clothing, which can make a difference at the end of your kayak tour!
When you begin your kayak adventure with Lands, we provide you with the essential accessory to practice this activity: a life jacket to ensure your safety.
If you have further questions about what to bring when kayaking in the Ria Formosa, please don’t hesitate to contact our expert local team. You can also browse the kayak tours that depart from Faro every day.