Join us on a lovely guided walk in the countryside of the Algarve. This is guided walking tour to the rugged and protected site of Rocha da Pena, an area of outstanding beauty, unique wildflowers and magnificent landscapes. Enjoy a great time out in the Algarve and benefit of extensive local guidance.
Let us take you on a fantastic walking tour to the protected site of Rocha da Pena.
Visit a unique rocky plateau in the countryside of the Algarve and have a great time on this 3-hour guided walk exploring an remarkably interesting area for wildflowers and other wildlife. Come walk in the terra rossa of the Algarve and be amazed by this protected landscape and its geological features that are home to unique flora and fauna in this region of the South of Portugal.
200,00 € (per group up to 4 people)
private guided walk accompanied by a knowledgeable local guide
transfer from meeting point to the starting point of the walk and return
Marina of Faro | Faro
Edifício Ginásio Clube Naval – Piso 0
Marina of Faro
8000-541 Faro Algarve – Portugal
get directions »
09: 00 am
other departures are also possible
available everyday throughout the year
Difficulty level: moderate
Type of Trail: round
Extent of walk: 3.98 miles (6.4 km)
Approx. duration: 3 up to 4 hours
Discover the more rugged and wild countryside of the Algarve on this guided walking tour of Rocha da Pena.
On this guided walk we explore the imposing rocky plateau lying between the Barrocal and the Serra do Caldeirão. Rocha da Pena is a classified area characterized by rock faces, high bare cliffs and dense Mediterranean scrub forest on the summits with magnificent landscapes.
This lovely walk starts with a climb up to the plateau, rising to 479 meters. At the top you’ll be treated with remarkable views to the south and the north. You’ll have time to soak up the stunning natural surroundings of the Barrocal towards the sea and the lesser-known Serra do Caldeirão.
Rocha da Pena is a unique geo-monument in the Algarve and you’ll benefit of extensive local guidance on this private walking tour. With a very interesting Mediterranean scrubland, along this walk there are some of most beautiful and rare wildflowers of the Algarve. There are many wild orchids here in Spring and also wild iris and narcissi. Rock roses with their delicate pink or white flowers are dominant species but other notables include Western Iberian Peony, Tassel Hyacinths and aromatic plants such as lavender, rosemary, fennel and wild thyme. This site is also home to a wide variety of animals and we may be lucky to catch a glimpse of bee-eaters, eagle owls, buzzards while watching out for the rare Bonelli’s eagle.
Continuing along rock walls and a very large stone bank, you’ll enjoy some of the most beautiful views over the mountain range before we go back downhill through an old and picturesque hamlet, where time seems to have come to a hold.
Join us on a guided walk in this beautiful site. We promise you a memorable outing with a local guide who enjoys a walk as much as you do.
Guided walks are available every day throughout the year with several daily departures from Faro.
Good to Know / We recommend
- Bring appropriate footwear. For your comfort and security, and in recognition of the fact that paths in places may be stony or wet, it is essential that you have appropriate footwear. Either strong walking shoes or boots which give ankle support and have soles with a good grip (boots are obviously the better option, plimsolls are definitely not!).
- Walking poles, if you have them, take the strain off the joints and are handy, if not essential.
- A light waterproof coat and comfortable clothing are also advisable.
- A rucksack or backpack is recommended to carry enough water, a packed lunch or snack, a hat and a good sun cream.
- Binoculars and/or a camera are an extremely good idea.
- Remember to bring enough water to avoid dehydration.
- Explore nature’s great outdoors. Take only pictures, leave only footprints.
- Safety comes first, please follow the instructions and recommendations of your guide, especially those relating to safety issues.
- Walks may be amended due to weather conditions or travelers’ fitness, should our walking guides deem this advisable.
- The schedules of departures and arrivals, duration and itineraries of the activities are subject to change without prior notice due to security determined by weather conditions, winds, tides and/or any other circumstances beyond the control of Lands – Turismo na Natureza, Lda.
About our Guided Walks
- All walks are accompanied by experienced guides with a profound knowledge in botany, wildlife, regional geography, local customs and traditions of the areas visited.
- The itineraries are designed to give you a good introduction to the region you are visiting to experience beautiful nature during a moderate pace.
- Our tours are suitable for all levels of walking experience and for all ages.