Let us take you on a lovely guided walk in Ria Formosa. Get your boots on for a wildlife walk at the westernmost part of Ria Formosa and discover one of best birdwatching spots in the Algarve with a knowledgeable local guide.
Make sure to join this lovely guided walk through Portugal’s stunning Ria Formosa.
Enjoy a 3-hour guided walk through the pine woodlands, marshes, and salt pans of Ria Formosa in the protected areas of Ludo and Quinta do Lago. This is a nature walk to discover the natural beauty and wildlife of this protected wetland area of the Algarve and learn about traditional salt extraction and clam farming with an enthusiastic local guide.
120,00 € (per group up to 4 people)
private guided walk accompanied by a knowledgeable local guide
transfer from meeting point to the starting point of the walk and return
Marina of Faro | Faro
Edifício Ginásio Clube Naval – Piso 0
Marina of Faro
8000-541 Faro Algarve – Portugal
get directions »
14: 00 pm
other departure are also possible
available everyday throughout the year
Difficulty level: very easy
Type of Trail: round
Extent of walk: 3.73 miles (6 km)
Approx. duration: 3 hours
Experience the natural beauty of Ria Formosa on a guided walk of the salt pans, marshes, and pine woodlands of the protected habitat of many species of birds. Ria Formosa is one of Portugal’s Seven Natural Wonders, and you’ll soon discover why.
You’ll enjoy a guided walking tour of this sacred land, and discover the natural beauty and wildlife that is protected here. On this private tour we explore the protected areas of Ludo and Quinta do Lago. These two areas are extraordinary places for birdwatching, in fact, some of the best birding spots in the Algarve.
As you walk past the marshlands, you’ll enjoy stunning views of the lagoon. If the tide is out you’ll be able to see local people working on their clam farms as your local guide tells you about this important economic activity.
Enjoy incredible views over the saltpans and learn about the traditional salt extraction methods used in the Algarve. The region is famous for the quality of its salt which is known here as white gold. Keep your eyes peeled for amazing birdlife like the colorful Greater Flamingo and many other birds which are common species in these parts. You’ll be walking in one of the best bird watching spots in the Algarve.
As you reach the fresh water lagoon, there will be time for a rest break while you look for the Purple Swamphen, a beautiful bird that is the symbol of the Nature Park. We continue down the trail towards the lagoon and its beautiful views, a perfect end to a wonderful outing exploring the beauty of Ria Formosa!
Ludo and Quinta do Lago are well worth discovering. Join us on a guided walk in this beautiful site. We promise you a memorable outing with a local guide who enjoys a walk as much as you do.
Guided walks are available every day throughout the year with several daily departures from Faro.
Good to Know / We recommend
- Bring appropriate footwear. For your comfort and security, and in recognition of the fact that paths in places may be stony or wet, it is essential that you have appropriate footwear. Either strong walking shoes or boots which give ankle support and have soles with a good grip (boots are obviously the better option, plimsolls are definitely not!).
- Walking poles, if you have them, take the strain off the joints and are handy, if not essential.
- A light waterproof coat and comfortable clothing are also advisable.
- A rucksack or backpack is recommended to carry enough water, a packed lunch or snack, a hat and a good sun cream.
- Binoculars and/or a camera are an extremely good idea.
- Remember to bring enough water to avoid dehydration.
- Explore nature’s great outdoors. Take only pictures, leave only footprints.
- Safety comes first, please follow the instructions and recommendations of your guide, especially those relating to safety issues.
- Walks may be amended due to weather conditions or travelers’ fitness, should our walking guides deem this advisable.
- The schedules of departures and arrivals, duration and itineraries of the activities are subject to change without prior notice due to security determined by weather conditions, winds, tides and/or any other circumstances beyond the control of Lands – Turismo na Natureza, Lda.
About our Guided Walks
- All walks are accompanied by experienced guides with a profound knowledge in botany, wildlife, regional geography, local customs and traditions of the areas visited.
- The itineraries are designed to give you a good introduction to the region you are visiting to experience beautiful nature during a moderate pace.
- Our tours are suitable for all levels of walking experience and for all ages.