On this 4-hour private birdwatching tour, we take you to Sagres, the most South-westerly point of Europe to witness autumn bird migration in the Algarve.
In the company of an enthusiastic tour leader, you’ll enjoy great numbers of migratory birds, especially raptors around Sagres during one of most interesting timings for birdwatching in the Algarve.
200,00 € (per group up to 4 people)
private birdwatching tour accompanied by an experienced guide
use of binoculars, telescope and bird identification guides
Marina de Faro | Faro
Edifício Ginásio Clube Naval – Piso 0
Marina de Faro
8000-541 Faro Algarve – Portugal
get directions »
08: 30 am
available every day from September throughout October
On this private birdwatching tour, we take you to the Peninsula of Sagres and Cape St. Vincent, the most south-westerly point of Europe to witness the amazing bird migration.
Year after year, during autumn migration, thousands of birds overfly this beautiful area in the Algarve making it the main migration corridor in Portugal. At one of the key points for bird migration routes in Europe, you will witness a large concentration of soaring birds and migratory passerines.
Only a few miles inland, out on the open heathland and in pine wood forests, we have very good chances to observe migratory raptors. Observations depend mostly on the wind conditions, but it’s possible to spot 15 or more different raptor species. Griffon Vulture is a common encounter, sometimes seeing hundreds at once. Some of the most common species observed are the Booted Eagle and Short-toed Eagle, but there’s also a good chance to spot the Golden Eagle, the Spanish Imperial Eagle, the Eleonora Falcon and Black Stork.
Close encounters with migratory passerines are also possible as well as local breeding species such as the Red-billed Chough, the Peregrine, the Blue Rock Thrush, the Thekla Lark, the Sardinian Warbler and Dartford Warbler.
During this tour, some of the locations visited include the Vale Santo, the Monte da Cabranosa and Cape St. Vincent. Your tour leader will make sure to share with you as many sightings as possible. The bird migration in Sagres is definitely worthy of a visit and we promise you a memorable day out enjoying the birdlife of the Algarve.
These birdwatching tours are available every day throughout September and October with daily departures from Faro.
Good to Know / We recommend
- Bring casual clothing and comfortable footwear. During certain periods of the year, a wind stopper and a waterproof coat are useful if not essential.
- A rucksack or backpack is recommended to carry a small snack, sunglasses, hat and a good sun cream.
- A camera is an excellent idea.
- Remember to bring enough water to avoid dehydration.
- Avoid disturbing birds and wildlife. Please respect the most sensitive periods of the year. During breeding period avoid disturbance of nests, breeding bird colonies and other sites of dependency.
- Respect other birdwatchers and be discreet. Be so kind to avoid disturbance of birds that are being observed.
- Explore nature’s great outdoors. Take only pictures, leave only footprints.
- Safety comes first, please follow the instructions and recommendations of your guide, especially those relating to safety issues.
- Trips may be amended due to weather conditions or the physical condition of the participants should our guides deem this advisable.
- The schedules of departures and arrivals, duration and itineraries of the activities are subject to change without prior notice due to security determined by weather conditions, winds, tides and/or any other circumstances beyond the control of Lands – Turismo na Natureza, Lda.
About our Birding Tours
- All tours are accompanied by experienced guides with a profound knowledge of all bird species in the areas visited.
- The price includes the use of binoculars, telescope and bird identification guides so that the participants may fully enjoy all the bird species encountered.
- The main emphasis of these tours is birdwatching, but whilst on tour, we might have opportunities to observe wildflowers, mammals and other wildlife as well as other aspects of the Algarve’s nature and culture.
- Tours are amended not only to the participants’ interests but also to their level of birding experience from novice to expert.